Saturday, November 13, 2010

Invasion of the "Huns"

I really like living in a small town. One big advantage is that a traffic jam consists of seven cars. It's also nice that you can reach any destination in my town within 10 minutes. Our town is not so small that you could possibly know everyone, but I often see familiar cars driving around, even if I do not know their owners.

One odd habit of small town dwellers, however, is that so many people call you "hun." For you non-native English speakers, "hun" is short for "honey," which is a term of endearment between spouses or parents and children. In the movies, it's the middle aged waitress in the dingy diner who calls you Hun in a raspy smoker's voice while she smacks her gum and gets her order pad out.

"What can I getcha, Hun?"

I don't mind middle aged waitresses calling me Hun. That's fine. They've earned it. But the other day, I was at the drive-through line for a burger and the order taker, who looked like she was no older than 18, kept calling me Hun. And she repeated it at the end of every sentence, as if she had a record to break for the number of times she said it.

"Can I take your order, Hun?"
"What kind of soda did you want, Hun?"
"Ice, Hun?"
"Ketchup or fry sauce, Hun?"
That'll be $5.20, Hun."
"Here's your change, Hun."
"Your food will be right out, Hun."
"Here you go, Hun."

I figure the middle age waitresses must start somewhere with the habit, but I never realized that they started out as young order takers in fast food restaurants. And the way this girl said it was like it was foreign to her, as if she were just starting the habit and continuing through force of will. Maybe someone told her that's what you say in a small town restaurant or the customers get miffed.

It happens at the grocery store, too. There, the Hun-ners are closer to my age, and they seem comfortable with the word, not finding it necessary to end every sentence with it. It still throws me off a bit, but I can accept it.

I'll accept it from the skinny young girl at the fast food restaurant, too, because those burgers are to die for.

4 comments:

Lena said...

that's so much hun! i mean fun!..

Lena said...

you can call her "sweetheart" after every single phrase ;)
-Yes, sweetheart, I would like a burger, sweetheart, and I'll drink soda, sweetie, with ice, dearie, thanks, sweetheart.

Eva Aurora said...

You're right, Lena. I should have done that, except I would have burst out laughing. I could never keep a straight face.

When I was in England, all the older people called me "duck" or "love." That was funny.

Allyson said...

This is a funny post, hun.