Sunday, August 16, 2009

Thoughts on Moving

For an awful moment there it looked like the appraisal of the house would cause us to have to renegotiate the whole thing. The appraisal was coming in too low. Somehow it got fixed. We're still booked to close on the 27th.

That meant today was probably the last time we attended our ward before moving. Next week is the dedication of the Oquirrh Mountain Temple and our stake has suspended regular church meetings in order to allow people to attend the dedication. It wasn't something I'd realized before Husband got up to announce it in Sacrament Meeting, that this was kind of "it." My friend, Andrea, has been praying fervently and steadfastly that somehow we would not move. She's very upset with me at the moment. With all the other good-byes and well-wishes I got today, I nearly cried and wanted to back out of the whole thing.

Nearly.

There's still that thrill of new beginnings, of a change and a new challenge. Admittedly, I'm not fourteen, like Sian, and don't have to start attending a new high school and make new friends. The kids are having definite second thoughts these days, now that it's all coming to the point of no return. But I can't help but be quite excited, despite my sadness to leave behind family and friends. We're only 40 minutes away. It's not like we're moving to a new state or even a new country.

5 comments:

The Father of Five said...

When we moved... We moved 30 minutes away from "the cities" - our parents, and friends...

You will quickly see that things are not all that different... You will make NEW friends, while keeping your old friends...

Plus - it's nice to OUT and AWAY from the hustle of the bigger cities!

For us... Moving to Jordan was the BEST THING that ever happened.... I have NO regrets...

Mama Williams said...

It's a grand adventure! Done it myself. I'm personally thrilled for your family. You deserve this place of your own where you will grow and come together even more. The circle is expanding of experience, friends, ward, life. Enjoy the journey my friend! :) Wish you the best!

Eva Aurora said...

Thanks FOF and WillyHappyMama. It's good to know others who have made the move and have thrived. The closer it gets the more I'm biting my nails, though. I kind of wish it was OVER already! Then we could just settle in and get on with making a new life.

motherof8 said...

Moving is hard, but exciting. Thank goodness for the internet and other modern communication. There will be new friends and new callings, but you will still keep the best of your "old" friends. How fun it will be to invite them to a housewarming party! Ask them to let you know about ward and stake activities so you can go back and visit. Aren't you glad that your old ward is sad to see you go rather than relieved?!! ; )
Best wishes!

Shanna said...

I am soooooooo excited to have you coming closer to me! I know it is selfish and wrong but I am giddy with the thought. Moving is hard. I had an especially hard time when I left the ward there to go to Arizona, but if you know it is right then everything will work out. And I love the house!